International Baccalaureate Programs
Student-Centered Education with an International Perspective
The International Baccalaureate Organization created three levels of educational programming designed to provide students with age appropriate and challenging curriculum. The Primary Years Program is designed for grades Kindergarten through 5. The Middle Years Program is for students in grades 6 through 10. The Diploma Program is for students in grades 11 and 12.
Greenville County Schools is pleased to offer the full range of K-12 IB continuum: Primary Years, Middle Years, and Diploma. The K-12 IB sequence of study is offered in four different geographical areas of the county (see listing of schools below). With the exception of Beck Middle Academy and Southside High (Middle Years/Diploma), all other IB schools primarily serve their home-based populations. All students in grades K-5 though 10 enrolled in an IB school automatically participate in the program. No screening or testing is required.
Students who do not live in an IB school’s attendance area and want to participate in the IB at that school may complete a Request for Change in Student Assignment Form, which can be obtained from any school and submitted to the IB school the student wishes to attend.. However, not all schools are able to accept such requests every year and at every grade level. Parents should check with the IB school in which they are interested to see if the school accepts students from outside the attendance area. Because Beck Academy and Southside High are Select Schools or magnet academies, interested students who do not reside in these schools’ attendance areas must apply and be approved to attend. Applications are available on the on each magnet school’s web site and on the school district web site.
While each level of IB programming has its own unique characteristics and requirements, they share a common vision.
The International Baccalaureate Mission:
Through comprehensive and balanced curricula coupled with challenging assessments, the International Baccalaureate Organization aims to assist schools in their endeavors to develop the individual talents of young people and teach them to relate the experience of the classroom to the realities of the world outside. Beyond intellectual rigor and high academic standards, strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship, to the end that IB students may become critical and compassionate thinkers, lifelong learners, and informed participants in local and world affairs, conscious of the shared humanity that binds all people together while respecting the variety of cultures and attitudes that makes for richness of life.
The IB benefits Greenville County’s children in the following ways:
- Provides a total program, grades K-12
- Nurtures students’ awareness of their membership in a global community
- Raises academic expectations and achievement
- Enrolls them in an international community of scholars
- Provides student-centered inquiry and instruction
- Provides a learning partnership with professionally trained IB teachers
- Provides students with skills and attitudes which encourage lifelong learning
- Encourages creativity and critical thinking at all levels
- Develops a broad base of knowledge across all subject areas
Primary Years Program
The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (PYP) is designed for students in kindergarten through fifth grade. The PYP is a uniquely international program that focuses on the total growth of the child, encompassing social, physical, emotional, and cultural needs in addition to academics.
- Relates students’ world in the United States to a larger world community
- Explores themes of global significance from multiple perspectives through inquiry-based learning
- Applies higher-level skills to real-world problems
- Study of a second language
Middle Years Program
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (MYP) provides students in grades 6 through 10 with and academic challenge and life skills focused on the student’s intellectual and social development.
- International standard of excellence
- Requires mastery in eight required academic areas
- Focuses on three themes: clear communication, global awareness, and intercultural sensitivity
- Integrates five key areas into all subjects: community and service; self-reflection; human inventiveness; the environment; and health and social education
- Develops strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and study skills
- Requires active involvement in community and service
- Study of a second language
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (DP) is a comprehensive, rigorous, international curriculum, leading to examinations, for students in grades 11 and 12. It provides students of different linguistic and cultural backgrounds with the intellectual, social, and critical perspectives necessary for the world that lies ahead of them. Students who successfully complete the requirements for this program earn the prestigious International Baccalaureate Diploma. In the United States, the IB is valued as an honors program which leads to advanced standing and college credits at the world’s finest colleges and universities.
- International standard of excellence
- Emphasizes critical thinking, intercultural understanding, and exposure to a variety of points of view.
- Coursework in six different subject areas that reflect a blend of breadth and specialization.
- 4,000-word original research paper
- Theory of knowledge philosophy course
- 150 hours of community service
International Baccalaureate Schools
- Chandler Creek Elementary - 301 Chandler Road | Greer, SC 29651 | (864) 355-2400
- Greer Middle - 3032 E. Gap Creek Road | Greer, SC 29651 | (864) 355-5800
- Greer High - 3000 East Gap Creek Dr. | Greer, SC 29651 | (864) 355-5700
- Heritage Elementary - 1592 Geer Highway | Travelers Rest, SC 29690 | (864) 355-6000
- Northwest Middle - 1606 Geer Highway | Travelers Rest, SC 29690 | (864) 355-6900
- Travelers Rest High - 301 North Main St. | Travelers Rest, SC 29690 | (864) 355-0000
- Forks Shoals (Elementary) School - 916 McKelvey Road | Pelzer, SC 29669 | (864) 355-5000
- Woodmont Middle - 325 North Flat Rock Road | Piedmont, SC 29673 | (864) 355-8500
- Woodmont High - 2831 West Georgia Road | Piedmont, SC 29673 | (864) 355-8600
- Sara Collins Elementary - 1200 Parkins Mill Road | Greenville, SC 29607 | (864) 355-3200
- Beck (Middle) Academy - 901 Woodruff Road | Greenville, SC 29607 | (864) 355-1400
- Southside High - 6630 Frontage at White Horse Rd | Greenville, SC 29605 | (864) 355-8700
Additional information about the IB Organization and different program levels can be found on the IB web site, www.ibo.org
Deborah Carrero, Greenville County Schools IB Coordinator
email@example.com | (864) 355-4817
Greenville County Schools
301 E. Camperdown Way • P.O. Box 2848
Greenville, SC 29602