School Visitor and Volunteer Guidelines
ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST RECEIVE DISTRICT APPROVAL PRIOR TO VOLUNTEERING AT ANY SCHOOL/CENTER OR CHAPERONING ANY SCHOOL FIELD TRIP. PLEASE ALLOW UP TO 2-WEEKS FOR THE APPROVAL PROCESS.
Greenville County Schools (GCS), in an effort to ensure the safety of all of our students, has implemented additional security checks for school volunteers. All volunteers must submit an online application to the district and receive clearance from the district before volunteering at any school/center or chaperoning any school field trip.
Volunteers are now identified by two different categories: Level I or Level II. The application process for each is detailed below:
LEVEL I - This level requires the presence and supervision of a GCS employee at all times. Level I volunteers must have a National Sex Offender Registry check conducted every time they volunteer at the school (this is the current process each time you check into a school and/or district office). Level I volunteers may volunteer in classrooms, work in the Media Center, and participate in school activities on campus as long as staff members are present.
LEVEL I application process:
- To access the volunteer application system, the applicant enters: https://apps.raptortech.com/Apply/MzE6ZW4tVVM= (Española: https://apps.raptortech.com/Apply/MzE6ZXMtVVM=) and completes the Volunteer Application Form, a Level I volunteer only selects those functions not containing (Vol. II) in the name.
- Once approved the Level I volunteer is notified by email.
- Level I volunteers must sign in each time they volunteer. Photo identification must be presented each time for verification.
LEVEL II – This level allows interaction with students without a GCS employee present. Level II volunteers must have a National Sex Offender Registry check conducted every time they volunteer at the school as well as a criminal background check good for three years. Chaperones for field trips are required to be a Level II volunteer, regardless of the destination.
LEVEL II application process:
- To access the volunteer application system, the applicant enters: https://apps.raptortech.com/Apply/MzE6ZW4tVVM= and completes the Volunteer Application Form, a Level II volunteer can select all functions available including those with (Vol. II) in the name. By selecting Vol. II functions the system will conduct a criminal background check.
- Once approved the Level II volunteer is notified by email. This process could take up to two weeks to complete.
- Level II volunteers must sign in each time they volunteer. Photo identification must be presented each time for verification.
Our primary responsibility is to safeguard our children and ensure we are in compliance with the identified guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation as we work with our stakeholders to complete this process. All volunteers will be required to remain in the presence of a GCS employee at all times until applications for Level II are approved.
Schools shall provide annual training to volunteers covering pertinent information including, but not limited to, the Safe School Climate Act and volunteer expectations at the school.
Please feel free to contact your child’s school if you have questions.