School Counseling Services - Home Schooling Services
The Board of Trustees approves home school applications which meet the following standards.
- Parents must hold a high school diploma or the equivalent general education development (GED) certificate, or a higher degree.
- The instructional day must be at least four and one-half hours, and the instruction year is at least one hundred eighty days.
- The curriculum includes reading, writing, mathematics, science and social studies for all grades. In grades seven through twelve, composition and literature is required.
- A semiannual progress report including attendance records must be submitted to the school district. Assessment and attendance forms will be mailed to parents for submission to the Home School Office.
- Students must have access to library facilities.
- Students must participate in the annual statewide testing program.
- Parents must maintain a portfolio of samples of the student’s academic work.
Parents may home school through the school district by sending a completed application form along with a copy of their high school diploma or GED (General Education Diploma) to Laura Williams at 301 Camperdown Way, Box 2848, Greenville, SC 29602. For more information on Home Schooling, please visit the State Department of Education.
Applications available in JulyState Department Home School Laws