You may homeschool your child as long as you comply with the basic laws, are a part of a homeschool association with at least 50 members, AND you maintain a record of your child's education which includes:
- A plan book or other record of teachings and activities
- A portfolio of sample work your child has done
- A semiannual progress report (includes attendance academic progress of required curriculum
Choices under Option 3
This option requires that you become a member of the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS). Once you become a member of the SCAIHS, you are free to make any decision regarding your child's education as long as you follow the three basic laws. SCAIHS is only there to assist you in the education of your child, as well as to ensure that you follow the basic laws. You will need to send in an application and renew the application each year. The application can be found on the SCAIHS website. For more information about what SCAIHS can offer you, visit the link below.
This option requires that you submit an application to Greenville County School District which will go through an approval process through the district board of trustees. The board must approve of your request to instruct your child in homeschool. The applications are located on this site, please email the completed application to: GCShomeschoolOPT1@greenville.k12.sc.us
- Your instruction must be 4.5 hours a day
- You must maintain a record of your child's instruction
- Your child must participate in the Annual Statewide Testing Program and the Basic Skills Assessment Program
- You must submit a copy of the student's attendance and grades at the end of each semester
- Please note: Students enrolled in a home school association will not receive a South Carolina high school diploma issued by the State Board of Education
- You will need to send in an application and renew the application each year
Parents may home school through the school district by sending a completed application form along with a copy of their high school diploma or GED (General Education Diploma) to Meagan Scott at 301 E. Camperdown Way, Greenville, SC 29601. For more information on Home Schooling, please visit the State Department of Education.