Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2020
League Academy Nominated as National Showcase School
League Academy is one of 261 schools nationwide to be selected as 2019-2020 Capturing Kids’ Hearts National Showcase School® Nominee. This is the third year in a row the school has been nominated as a National Showcase School by the Flippen Group.
Through the National Showcase Schools™ awards, the Flippen Group recognizes and celebrates schools that go the extra mile each day, creating the socio-emotional safety on school campuses that is conducive to learning.
Four years ago, League Academy leaders chose to join hands with the Flippen Group to bring Capturing Kids’ Hearts® to its campus. Teachers and staff learned how to create a classroom environment where students are excited to enter and learn every day. As a result of implementing Capturing Kids’ Hearts, League Academy has enjoyed an extremely positive school culture shift.
- League Academy offers an after-school program for students most in need to attend. The program includes not only academic assistance, but also character building skills and life skills through cooking with Cook Up Greenville, farming with Mill Village Farms, Yoga with a certified yoga instructor, and Shag lessons from the Carolina Shag Club.
- TASK Club (Taking a Stand for Kindness) is a student-led club which meets each Tuesday morning before school to discuss ways to battle and cope with any bullying or unkindness at the school.
- The 8th grade chorus class is not only 8th graders but is also comprised of 14 students with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities. The general education students in the class all have a buddy with special needs in the class. During the school’s winter performance, they stood together to offer support while on stage.
- School staff often ride the bus home with the students to ensure a kind and safe environment on our buses.
- Students are often paired together to work on projects. Just recently an 8th grader worked with an ESOL student (who is new to our country) on a project about the Declaration of Independence. With the help of our student and arts integration, this newcomer was able to articulate what the Declaration of Independence is and why it is important to the history of the United States.
Capturing Kids’ Hearts National Showcase School® Nominees are evaluated and selected based on survey and performance data from administrators, teachers, staff and students.