Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018
Read Across South Carolina Student Art Contest
Six GCS students were among winners in the South Carolina Education Association’s Third annual Read Across South Carolina K-12 Student Art Contest. More than 375 pieces of student artwork were submitted from kindergarten through high school age students.
Last fall, students in schools across the state were encouraged by their teachers to create artwork utilizing the theme From the Mountains to the Sea, Read With Me. A team of judges comprised of art teachers from elementary, middle, high school and college levels as well as EdVenture Children’s Museum, reviewed the submitted art to select winners. Beginning in mid-March, EdVenture Children’s Museum in Columbia will display the winning artwork in their lobby.
The Read Across South Carolina Art Contest, now in its third year, promotes literacy and art across South Carolina. The contest provides recognition to individual public education students, publicity and visibility for their teachers and schools, and advances opportunities to raise awareness about art and literacy.
Division 1: K-2nd Grade
- Honorable Mention: Nevaeh Sanchez, Monaview Elementary
Division 3: Middle School
- Honorable Mention: Xaiviar Cremedy, Riverside Middle
Division 4: High School
- 3rd place: Christopher Escobar, Southside High
- Honorable Mention: Daniel Cubides, Berea High
Division 5: Digital/Photography
- 1st place: Autumn Roberts, Greenville High (not pictured)
- Honorable Mention: Rhiana Lamb, Wade Hampton High