Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017
Superheroes are amazing! But what does it take to be a Superhero? What kind of powers do you need to stop the “villains”? Find out using the power of science, art and engineering! Don’t forget to bring your Superhero look or make up your own, dress up and participate in our costume contest!
Join us for fun-filled hands-on activities and experiences for all ages. Superhero Science! takes place at Roper Mountain Science Center on Saturday October 14th from 9AM to 3PM. Community partners include; Upstate SC Superheroes, Clemson University EMAG!NE, and Richard’s Comics, This unique experience will allow visitors of all ages to explore the science and art behind superheroes!
A sampling of events throughout the Day:
- Bring on your best Superhero look at our Costume Contest at 1:00pm - 8 & Under, 9-12, 13-18 yrs. Prizes given for Most Creative and Most Original costume!
- See our Super-Powered Science Show! Join Joe Blizzard, our resident superhero-in-training on his journey to use science to find his superpowers! Shows at 10:30am, 11:30am and 2:00pm
- Build a Bat-Mobile- Be the Hero! Design a Bat-mobile out of Legos that will save the people and travel the fastest.
- Insects have superpowers too! Are you stronger than a Bess Beetle? Explore the relationship between strength and body size.
- Tony Stark’s Circuit Workshop- Become a circuit genius! Experience squishy circuits and explore your skills with Snap circuits.
- Animal Superpower Lab- Get hands-on and discover the abilities of some of our truly super animals. Compare your abilities with theirs!
- Making the (Wo)man of Steel with Clemson University EMAG!NE- Help protect the superhero's "tile" by designing a custom armor made from everyday materials. Test your superhero armor on the villainous Impactor.
- Design your own character mask and make a “Hero-Pop.”
- Green Screen Photo Booth- Put yourself in the action! Have your photo taken in the Superhero Universe! Free! Photos uploaded digitally to Facebook.
- Richard's Comics- Are you Marvel or DC? We’ve got both! Meet local artists Mel Rivera and Kayla Leonard.
- Be the Antman- Make a design and use scientific powers to shrink it!
- Can your skills stretch to the limit? Make and test a stretchy Elastigirl polymer.
- Test your archery skills in Green Arrow’s Archery Zone.
- Observe the sun with Roper Mountain Astronomers in the Daniel Observatory.
- SC Upstate Heroes! Supergirl, Batman, Green Arrow, Spider-Man, Winter Soldier, and Wolverine and more!
- Come to the Butterfly Garden! Go on a scavenger hunt or learn about nature’s original transformers; Monarch Butterflies! Programs at 11:00am, 12:00pm, and 1:00pm.
- Superhero Cape Design- Test your design skills for maximum flight as you create a super-powered Cape that will fly in our Vertical Wind Tunnel.
- Are you a super student? See if you pass the test in our Schoolhouse Lessons on the Living History Farm. Lessons every 30 mins, 9:30am - 12:30pm.
- The T.C. Hooper Planetarium full dome theater will feature Habitat Earth. Show times: 10:00am, 11:00am, 12:00pm, 1:00pm, 2:00pm
- Food available from Chick Fil-A and Snow Castle 11am- 1:30pm
Superhero Science! Saturday hours are 9:00 AM-3:00 PM. Admission is: $7 for children (ages 4-12); $8 for Teens and Adults (ages 13-59); and $7 for senior citizens (age 60 and over). All events are included in the general admission to the Center. Free for children age 3 and under, RMSC members, or School District Employees.
Roper Mountain Science Center