Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016
Greenville County Schools welcomes 11 teachers who have been selected for the inaugural year of the Greenville Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) program.
GATE is the first district-based, job-embedded alternative certification program in South Carolina and is designed to increase the number of exceptional math and science teachers in Greenville County middle level and secondary schools.
In partnership with Public Education Partners (PEP), GATE provides rigorous preparation in best educational practices to selected individuals who have a strong commitment to teach and a bachelor’s degree with a major or an emphasis in math or science. Similar to a medical residency model, the program will fully integrate content, best teaching practices and professional knowledge within a supportive, authentic school teaching experience.
For the next three weeks, GATE teachers participate in a variety of professional development activities learning from accomplished teachers, mentors, administrators and professional development staff.
2016-17 GATE Teachers
- Cam Erion – Ralph Chandler Middle
- Ildi Everly – Wade Hampton HS
- Jasmine Ford – Lakeview Middle
- Rebecca Nelson – Greer Middle
- Dr. Monica Ragin – Berea Middle
- Justin Phillips – Mauldin High
- Ben Saul – Tanglewood Middle
- Leslie Wiggins – Woodmont High
- Debra Workman – Ralph Chandler Middle
- Angela Austin – Lakeview Middle
- Christian Knatt – Southside HS