How to Become a Bus Driver
Federal Licensing Requirements
- Meet all requirements to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit to random alcohol and drug testing
- Meet all physical, mental, and moral requirements
State Training and Licensing Requirements
- Meet all requirements to obtain a CDL Class B with Air Brakes, Passenger & School Bus Endorsements
- Have no more than 4 points against current driving record in previous twelve months
- License may not be suspended for a moving violation within the previous 5 years
- Successfully complete the 20 hours South Carolina School Bus Training Class (held monthly).
- Successfully complete 20 hours of Behind the Wheel Training
- Pass a Department of Transportation physical examination
- Test negative for alcohol and drugs
- Have a minimum of twelve (12) months driving experience
- Submit to a criminal background check.
Greenville County School District Application Process
Step 1. Complete an on-line application on the Greenville County School District web site or at a local bus center. Information call: 864-355-1826.
Step 2. All on-line applications are processed by Greenville County Schools Human Resource Department for a Greenville County School criminal background check.
Step 3. Human Resource Department will forward successful applications to the Transportation Department for review. Applicants selected will be contacted for an interview.
Step 4. Applicants forwarded to the Greenville County Schools CDL training program must successfully complete the following:
- Pre-employment Drug Test
- DOT Physical -Tuberculosis Test
- CDL Permit Review Class
- Physical Performance Test.
Step 5. After completing your Physical Performance Test you are required to:
- Obtain a CDL Study Manual along with a (S) School Bus Manual at a Department of Motor Vehicle location.
(Study Chapters 1 through 5 in the CDL Manual. Take the practice test at the end of each chapter).
- Take the following written tests: General Knowledge - Air Brakes - Passenger - School Bus at a Department of Motor Vehicle location.
- Notify your safety training officer once you have obtained your CDL Class B permit with P&S endorsements.
(You will be scheduled to a Greenville County School CDL class at Wade Hampton Training Center, 200 Waddell Rd., Taylors, S.C. 29687) (The course is a 5 day class. All classes start at 8:30 a.m. and will dismiss at 3:30p.m. You must attend all 5 days of the School Bus Driving classes.)
Step 6. Completion of Behind-the-Wheel Bus Training (BTW) (20 hours).
Step 7. Completion of CDL Pre Trip – Skills – Road Test.
Step 8. Upon passing the CDL PreTrip - Skills - Road Test the applicant has five (5) days after completion of Steps 5, 6, and 7 to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License with the P & S endorsement and NO restriction for Air Brakes.
Step 9. Copy of the Class B Commercial Driver’s License is to be provided to the Safety Officer.
Step 10. Complete the New Employee Packet with the H.R. secretary at the bus center. (Checking or saving account needed for direct deposit).
Step 11. Bus Center H.R. secretary will schedule an appointment for “New Employee Orientation” meeting.
Step 12. Attend a minimum of ten (10) hours of In-Service Meetings scheduled throughout the school year. (Drivers and aides will be notified of these meetings).