Greenville County Schools is pleased to announce the return to 4 or 5-day-a-week in-person classes for some students. Ever since our Roadmap for a Return to In-person School was introduced over the summer, our goal has been for students to return to the classroom as soon as it is safe to do so. Under this plan, certain groups of students will begin the process of transitioning to additional in-person classes.
First Grade Students and Preschool/Elementary Special Education SELF-CONTAINED Students – phasing in 5 day a week in-person instruction over next 3 weeks
- Week of September 28 - attend Monday or Tuesday based on color group. Beginning Wednesday all first graders and preschool/elementary special education self-contained students will also attend Wednesday and Thursday. The net result is that all students in these categories will attend in-person school three days next week (Monday or Tuesday PLUS Wednesday and Thursday)
- Week of October 5, all students in these categories will attend four days of school – Monday through Thursday
- Week of October 12, all students in these categories will return to five day a week, in-person instruction until further notice
Note: By delaying the return to full-time in-person instruction until the week of October 12, impacted teachers have extra time to make arrangements for their personal child care on Fridays.
MS and HS Special Education SELF-CONTAINED Students and Career Center Level II Students – phasing in 4 day a week in-person instruction over next 2 weeks
- Week of September 28 – attend all classes Monday or Tuesday based on color group. Beginning Wednesday attend all self-contained classes and Career Center Level II courses on both Wednesday and Thursday. The net result is that all students in these categories will attend school/career center classes in-person three days next week (Monday or Tuesday PLUS Wednesday and Thursday). Please note, career center students will follow the district-wide attendance plan (currently Plan 2) for their regular education classes – this change only impacts attendance at their career center classes.
- Week of October 5 and until further notice, all students in these categories will attend self-contained classes and career center courses four days – Monday through Thursday. Please note, career center students will remain on Plan 2 for their regular education classes – this change only impacts attendance at their career center classes
Note: Because their teachers will continue to support virtual program students (self-contained) and Career Center Level I in-person and eLearning students throughout the week and on Fridays, these student groups will remain on four day a week in-person instruction until further notice.
Greenville County Schools is currently exploring options to return K4 and K5 students to full-time, in-person instruction in a manner that allows classrooms to be set up for social distancing. All students, including 1st graders and special ed students, will be required to wear masks when transitioning (hallways, entering school). Classes at the Fine Arts Center are not included because student numbers do not allow for social distancing in all programs.