Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020
Due to weather predicted on Wednesday during our scheduled #BeTheLight Senior Celebration, Greenville County Schools is postponing the event until Wednesday, May 27th.
This event was designed to give faculty and staff from the schools the opportunity, while appropriately maintaining social distance, a way to visually celebrate the seniors as students drive through the campus. The inclement weather would reduce the availability to have faculty and staff outside in the elements, and the decision to reschedule was made in hopes that the possibility of better weather next week would allow for a more enjoyable experience for the students and staff.
Individual schools may communicate additional information leading up to May 27th if applicable. As part of the #BeTheLight Celebration, all Greenville County Schools Athletics Complex lights that were scheduled to be turned on for the Class of 2020 will also be postponed until next Wednesday, the 27th.
On Wednesday, May 20, we plan to celebrate the Class of 2020 with a #bethelight campaign. High schools are scheduling drive-through events at their schools and all high school football stadium lights will burn for a period of time that evening. Fluor Field will also participate and will livestream their Jumbotron slideshow honoring all the valedictorians and salutatorians from GCS and surrounding districts. Additionally, we are asking the community to participate in a variety of ways.
- Turn on porch light from 6 - 10 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20 27 so seniors can see them while on their way to/from their drive-through celebrations
- Put sign/balloons/streamers in front yard supporting the Class of 2020
- Decorate mailbox with high school’s colors and logos
- Wear favorite high school colors on Wednesday, May 20 27
- Go to your front yard at 8:20 for 20 minutes on May 20 27 and wave your phone or a flashlight
- Send in pics of families under the lamplight or with yard signs/decorations to BetheLight@greenville.k12.sc.us
- Download the #BetheLight sign
Post on their marquees or post signs in front of their business
- Be the Light – Celebrating the Class of 2020
- Turn on Your Porch Light on May 20 27 @ 8:20 PM for 20 Minutes
- Use the school colors of their favorite high schools