Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018
STEMFest - Inspiring Wonder!
Discover the amazing world of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) that shapes our everyday lives at STEMFest 2018 Inspiring Wonder, a Roper Mountain 2nd Saturday event. Roper Mountain Science Center, local engineers and professionals will celebrate all things STEAM with fun-filled hands-on activities for all ages from robots and drones to LEGO bridges and making polymers and much more! STEMFest takes place at Roper Mountain Science Center on February 10th from 9AM to 3PM.
STEMFest 2018 is supported by community partners such as Fluor; “Fluor believes education, primarily in the disciplines of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) are a foundational component of preparing students for the 21st century workplace. That is why Fluor supports local efforts, such as Roper Mountain Science Center's STEMFest, that benefit students in the communities where we live and work.” Cheryl Wiggins, Senior Manager of Community Affairs, Fluor. Additionally, the event will include community partners including: ACE Mentor Program of the Upstate, AFL, BMW, Computer Source, Clemson University Emag!ne, Digitize Designs, Drone Racing Supply, ECPI, Fluor, GE, Greenville Drive, Happy Quad Drone Racing, Maker Pipe, Michelin, NEXT High School, Synergy Mill, United Way Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), South Carolina Coalition of Math and Science (SCCMS)/iMagine Upstate, East North Street Academy, Fisher Middle School and the WHHS Generals Robotics Team.
A sampling of STEM events throughout the Day for Families:
- Fluor will provide Engineering Challenges to make circuits, polymers, acids and bases and more. Learn what engineers do and take their bridge design challenge.
- GE will Inspire Wonder in you as YOU become the engineer in the GE design center. Try your hand at designing a device to withstand the destructive forces of the Wrecking Ball and Smasher. Younger children are welcome to come and try their hand at aluminum foil boat building!
- Explore automotive technology and automated guided vehicles (AGV) and take the Circuit Challenge with BMW!
- Build a Bridge to a Wondrous Future! Meet Michelin engineers and learn about the Michelin® X® TWEEL® airless tire. Test your engineering skills to design and build the strongest bridge before time runs out!
- Interact with AFL’s Light Island to see how different materials change the way light travels and experience the properties of light. Learn about reflection of light by building your own take-home hologram viewer!
- Test your engineering skills with staff and students from Clemson University’s School of Engineering EMAG!NE.
- Don’t worry, get Happy Quad drone racing! Check out the exciting world of drone racing on the Living History Farm (times TBA).
- Fisher Middle School First Lego League robotics team will show off their competition robot.
- WHHS Generals FIRST Robotics Team 283- Check out their cool BIG robot demonstration!! Show times in the Hipp Auditorium at 10am, 11am, and 12pm.
- ComputerSource, 3D Printers TOO! will showcase a host of 3D printers and the latest 3D printing technology. Take home a small 3D print (while supplies last).
- Test and drive VEX Robots with ECPI University students and staff and learn about their mechatronics programs.
- Flex your STEM muscles with the Upstate STEM Collaborative and SCCMS’s iMagine Upstate team. Choose between building a boat, drawing a picture with a top, or roll the dice for a surprise.
- See and experience the amazing applications of 3D Scanning with local company Digitize Designs.
- Explore structures with ACE (Architecture, Construction & Engineering) Mentor Program of the Upstate.
- Get handy with tools and meet Synergy Mill Greenville’s premier Makerspace!
- Join the Women in Science and Engineering of the United Way (WISE) in designing and building model rollercoasters!
- East North Street Academy -a science-focused club of 4th and 5th grade girls sponsored by Michelin - will challenge you to solve real-world problems by coding Dash robots.
- What can you make with Maker Pipe? Check out these cool connectors and create something BIG (or small!)!
- NEXT High School will share their unique projects including; an arcade game, textile STEAM projects and a VR experience!
- Visitors will also have the opportunity to visit with Greenville Drive mascot REEDY RIP’IT! and a chance to win a Greenville Drive gift basket.
- On the Living History Farm see weaving, blacksmithing, woodworking, hearth cooking and test some gears. Enjoy lessons at the Schoolhouse between 10:30am- 1:00pm on the half hour.
- Planetarium show Chasing the Ghost Particle at 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm and 2pm
- Roper Mountain’s will heat things up with our BIG Science stage show at 1pm and 2pm.
- View the sun (weather permitting) and enjoy additional activities in The Daniel Observatory
- Resident Dogs, Robino’s, Snow Castle food trucks and Chick Fil A food available for purchase.
STEMFest Saturday hours are 9:00 AM-3:00 PM. Admission is: $8 for Teens and Adults (ages 13-59); $7 for children (ages 4-12) and for senior citizens (age 60 and over). Free for children age 3 and under, RMSC members, and school district employees. All events are included in the general admission to the Center.