Freshman Academy Teachers
What is a Freshman Academy?
Small Learning Community with….
- Highly skilled, motivated, teamed teachers
- Core classes in close proximity to one another
- Students traveling in groups from one class to another
WHS Freshman Academy Promotes and Pursues:
- Team building
- Positive Reinforcement with Tangible Incentives
- Positive and Appropriate Social Interaction
- Academic Excellence
The purpose of the Woodmont High School Freshman Academy is to reduce the ninth grade dropout and failure rates. Nationwide, results show that the dropout and failure rates among ninth graders are severely high. The failure or success of a student's ninth grade year usually determines if he or she will graduate from high school.
Freshman Academy Fast Facts
- Nationally, more ninth grade students fail the ninth grade than any other grade
- Poor and minority students are twice as likely as others to be retained.
- Students who repeat at least one year are three times more likely to drop out of school than students who have not failed a grade.
- Among 14 - 15 year-olds who struggle with basic reading and math skills, 20% drop out of school within two years.
- Source: Southern Regional Education Board
Freshman Academy Goals
- Providing structure to freshmen as they adjust to their new surroundings.
- Teachers will get to know their students better.
- Students will feel a greater sense of belonging to our school.
- Research shows that attendance for freshmen improves.
- Communication regarding students both within school and to home will increase.
- With more focus on freshmen needs within the school, behavior problems decrease.
- Teachers will have common planning times so they can communicate lesson plans and concerns relating to various students.
- With common planning, a meeting with a student and/or parents can be made to meet with the academy teachers.