For answers to your Return to School questions, email email@example.com or call 355-3100.
Para traducir esta y otras páginas al español, haga clic en la pestaña Seleccionar idioma de Google en la parte inferior de la página.
Return to School Roadmap 2020
The goal of the GCS administration is to return to in-person school five days a week, as soon as it is safe to do so. Under guidelines produced by the AccelerateED task force, schools should correlate attendance plans to Community Spread levels. In general, as community spread increases, the number of students present in school each day should decrease, down to and including zero. DHEC issues a new community spread rating each Monday, and as a result, we will not know which attendance plan will be in effect for the start of school until much closer to August 24, the first day of school for GCS.. Our Attendance Plan Roadmap provides four possible attendance scenarios for students: 0 days of in-person attendance (also known as eLearning), 1 day of in-person attendance (1/4 of students attend each day, Mon-Thurs), 2 days of in-person attendance (1/2 of students attend each day, Mon-Thurs), and our regular five-day schedule. We are only able to maintain social distance in schools under Attendance Plans 1 and 2.
Parents who need to change their child’s color group due to childcare issues or transportation should complete the form below. Revising student groups is a very complex process, so please use this option only if necessary. Changes are based on space availability on buses and classroom capacity in the school, taking social distancing into consideration. Please allow a few days for changes to be processed.
Return to School
Destination Return to School Parent Resource Page
Comparison of GCS Virtual Program and eLearning for Traditional In-Person Attendance
New Hours for Elementary Schools
7:45 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Greenville County Schools has made a 15-minute shift in the elementary school start time beginning in August to ensure on-time drop off for high school students. By shifting elementary bus rider drop off to 7 a.m. and start the school day at 7:45 a.m. instead of 8 a.m., we are able to add 15 minutes to the window of time buses have to complete secondary routes, without extending the workday for elementary teachers.
Los subtítulos en español se proporcionan haciendo clic en el botón CC en la parte inferior del video.
GCS Virtual Program
In response to the needs of our community, GCS has added a new full-time virtual option for students in grades 5K-12. You must be enrolled in your assigned school if you plan to register in the GCS Virtual Program. Unlike eLearning, which was implemented under emergency conditions during last spring's school shutdown, students in the Virtual Program will have a normal daily instructional schedule, earn grades, and receive timely teacher feedback in response to class or homework. Teachers experienced in online platforms and virtual instruction will help and support student engagement using live and recorded lessons and tutorials. Because staffing the virtual program requires the removal of teachers from traditional classrooms, we are asking parents to commit to a full year of virtual instruction. However, if a family requests a transfer back to brick and mortar instruction before or at the semester break (January), we will work for a mid-year transition, so long as appropriate space is available.
Take this Quiz!
New Transportation Form for 2020-21
Greenville County Schools is asking ALL families who will have a student or students enrolled for the 2020-21 school year to complete a new Transportation Request Form. The form should be completed for EVERY student, including bus riders, car riders, walkers, bicyclists, and daycare bus riders. It is very important to complete the form so GCS can efficiently plan for how students will arrive and depart campuses daily. It is particularly important for students who have moved or changed schools. In order to ensure school bus transportation on the first day of school, forms are due by Wednesday, July 15. School bus requests submitted after July 15 will not be routed until after Labor Day.
- Facebook Live: Health and Transportation Questions
- Facebook Live: Academics and Special Education
- Facebook Life: Facilities
- Preguntas y Respuestas: Destino Volver A La Escuela 2020
- Google Classroom for Parents
- Guía para padres sobre Google Classroom
- CARES Act Provides Free Internet for Eligible Families
- Extended Day Program Information
- Extended Day Program Sites
5-Year-Old Kindergarten Waiver
Children who will be five years old on or before September 1 of the current year must enroll in public or private kindergarten unless the parent or legal guardian signs a waiver and turn it in at their home-based (assigned by residence) school.
If a parent chooses to keep their child out of five-year-old kindergarten, the child will begin first grade the following year.
Backpack Account for Parents
Parents are strongly encouraged to create a Backpack account for their children. Greenville County Schools uses Backpack to provide parents with the most recent news and information about our schools. The Backpack for Parents account also provides parents, guardians, or contacts with a central place to sign in to:
- View their student's information including demographics, attendance, classes, grades, lunch balances, and test scores
- Apply or register their student to Special Focus schools and programs (Fine Arts Center, Career Centers, etc.)
- Receive alerts and notifications regarding their students
- View their student's school and contact information
- Manage parent and contact information for their students
- Community Spread – Greenville County - July 27, 2020
- Community Spread – Greenville County – July 20, 2020
- DHEC - SC Testing Data & Projections (COVID-19)
- DHEC Community Spread Indicators
- Indicadores de difusión comunitaria de DHEC
- DHEC Guidance for Schools
- How to Protect Yourself from COVID-19
- Helping children cope with changes around COVID-19
- When should your child stay home?
- Going Back to School after COVID-19 Social Story
- Mask Up GCS - Video ( Los subtítulos en español se proporcionan haciendo clic en el botón CC en la parte inferior del video.)
- Mask Guidelines for School
- Reglamentos de máscara para la escuela
- Mask Wearing Toolkit
- Use of cloth face coverings (CDC)
- Handwashing Procedures