Greenville, South Carolina

Bus Updates
Contact Us

Greenville County Schools
301 E. Camperdown Way
Greenville, South Carolina 29601

Phone: 864-355-3100

Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm

Like Us on Facebook

Greenville County Schools Grading

A = 100-93
B = 92-85
C = 84-77
D = 76-70
F = 69-61

Course Grading

The district complies with the State Board of Education policy regarding a statewide uniform grading scale.

Grading Scales


Student progress in kindergarten is reported for South Carolina kindergarten standards as follows.

  • language and literacy
  • mathematics readiness
  • motor skills
  • personal and social development
Scale =
+ Consistently demonstrate
√ Sometimes demonstrates
- Rarely or never demonstrates
* Not yet demonstrated

Grade One

Student progress in grade one is reported for South Carolina first grade standards as follows:

  • Personal and Social Growth
  • Reading
  • Language Arts
  • Related Arts
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Social Studies
  • Penmanship
Scale =
+ Consistently demonstrates
√ Sometimes demonstrates
- Rarely or never demonstrates
* Not yet demonstrated

Grades Two through Twelve Grading Scales

Student progress in grades two through twelve is reported for all subjects as follows.

The South Carolina Uniform Grading Scale and the system for calculating grade point averages (GPAs) and class rank will be effective for all students in the 2007-2008 school year. The policy requires that the lowest grade given to a student at the end of a course is a 61. This grade would be considered a “floor” grading.

Elementary (grades 2 – 5) and middle schools will have a floor of 61 for each grading period. High schools will have a floor of 50 for all students with one exception. Ninth graders will have a floor of 61 at the end of 1st and 3rd quarters (block schedule) or 1st semester (traditional schedule). Interim progress reports will show all grades, including those below 61. Teachers will contact parents when a student receives a failing progress report.

Grading values are:

  • 61 - 69:F – all elementary and middle schools
  • 50 – 69:F – all high schools (exception of 9th graders: 1st and 3rd block schedules, 1st semester traditional schedules)
  • 70 – 76: D
  • 77 – 84: C
  • 85 – 92: B
  • 93 – 100: A

State Uniform Grading Scale

Conversion process

All report cards and transcripts will use numerical grades for courses carrying Carnegie units. Transcripts and report cards will show course title and level/type of course taken. The grading scale must be printed on the report card.

When transcripts are received from accredited out-of-state schools (or in-state from accredited sources other than the public schools) and numerical averages are provided, those averages must be used in transferring the grades to the student’s record. If letter grades with no numerical averages are provided, the following equivalents will be used to transfer the grades into the student’s record.

If the transcript indicates that the student has earned a passing grade in any course with a numerical average lower than 70, the average will be converted to a 73 numerical grade.

If the transcript shows that the student has earned a grade of “P” (passing), that grade will be converted to a numerical grade based upon information secured from the sending institution as to the approximate numerical value of the “P.” If no numerical average can be obtained from the sending institution, the receiving school will calculate the student’s cumulative transfer GPA and
the corresponding number equivalent will be assigned to replace the “P.”

End-of-course testing and the credit recovery option

In courses requiring state end-of-course testing, the district will apply the mandatory 20 percent weighting of the end-of-course test to the student’s final grade. The student will be allowed to take the examination only once, at the end of the regular course duration and not at the end of an extended period granted through the credit recovery option. The school will treat students who repeat the course as though they were taking the course for the first time and all requirements will apply.

Honors courses

Honors courses are intended for students exhibiting superior abilities in the particular course content area. The honors curriculum places emphasis on critical and analytical thinking, rational decision-making, and inductive and deductive reasoning. Honors courses should not encourage a student to graduate early, but should extend course opportunities at the high school level.

The district may designate honors courses and give the assigned weighting under the following conditions.

One-half of a quality point (.5) will be added to the CP weighting for honors courses that meet all three criteria listed above. These criteria apply to all courses, including those offered online and in other nontraditional settings as well as those recorded on a transcript from an out-of-state-school accredited under the board of education of that state or the appropriate regional accrediting agency.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Courses

The following criteria apply to the College Board’s AP courses and to IB courses, including those offered online and in other nontraditional settings as well as those recorded on a transcript from an out-of-state-school accredited under the board of education of that state or the appropriate regional accrediting agency.

Dual credit courses

Dual credit courses, whether the course is taken at the school site where the student is enrolled or at a post-secondary institution, are defined as those courses for which the student has received permission from his/her home school to earn both Carnegie units and credit for those particular courses. One quality point will be added to the CP weighting for dual credit courses that are applicable to baccalaureate degrees or associate degrees offered by accredited institutions.

College orientation classes for dual credit will be weighted as CP.

Grade point averages (GPA)

The uniform grading scale and system for figuring GPA and class rank will apply to all courses carrying Carnegie units, including units earned at the middle/junior high school level.

As applicable, the district will recalculate GPAs already earned by students based on the three-decimal-point scale as outlined in this administrative rule. Increased quality points for dual credit courses and full credit for dual credit courses will not be figured into recalculations.

Grade point averages will be figured uniformly in all schools using the following formula. The formula will yield each student’s GPA which can then be ranked from highest to lowest rank in class. Computations will not be rounded to a higher number. All diploma candidates are included in the ranking.

GPR = sum (quality points x units)
                sum of units attempted

Class Rankings

Class rankings will be determined based on the grade point ratios ("GPRs") of students in grade twelve at the conclusion of the seventh semester of high school in order:

  1. To determine honor graduates and select a valedictorian and salutatorian.
    The high school will determine the manner of recognition of honors graduates, i.e., honor cords, special recognition in the graduation program/ceremony, etc.;
  2. To provide information students need for applications for admission to post-secondary programs; and
  3. To provide information students need for scholarships and other awards.

However, class rank for LIFE Scholarships is determined at the conclusion of the spring semester of the senior year.

Course withdrawals

With the first day of enrollment as the baseline, students who withdraw from a course within three days in a 45-day course, five days in a 90-day course or 10 days in a 180-day course will do so without penalty.

Students who withdraw from a course after the specified time of three days in a 45-day course, five days in a 90-day course or 10 days in a 180-day course will be assigned a WF and the F (as a 61) will be calculated in the student’s overall grade point average.

The three, five and 10-day limitations for withdrawing from a course without penalty do not apply to course or course level changes approved by the administration of a school. The district will establish withdrawal limitations for distance learning courses.

Students who drop out of school or are expelled after the allowed period for withdrawal but before the end of the grading period will be assigned grades in accordance with the following.

If a student fails a course due to excessive absences, the school will record an FA on his/her transcript. The grade of FA will carry not Carnegie units but will be factored into the student’s GPA as a 61.

Retaking courses

Students in grades nine through 12 may retake a course at the same level of difficulty if they earned a D or F in that course. The student’s record will reflect all courses taken and the grades earned.

The student may retake the course either during the current school year or during the next school year but no later than that second year. In addition, the student must retake the course before he/she has enrolled in the next sequential course (unless granted approval by the school administration to do so).

A student who has taken a course for a Carnegie unit prior to his/her ninth grade year may retake that course regardless of the grade earned. In this case, only the retake grade will be used in figuring the student’s GPR and only the retake attempt will show on the transcript. This rule will apply whether the retake grade is higher or lower than the grade previously earned by the student.

Follow Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Instagram! Log on to the Parent Portal. Follow Us on Twitter! Visit Our YouTube Page!